University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide, together with its non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in the United States and around the world.
Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical assistance to strengthen health and social systems and service quality by empowering communities and health workers to identify and scale up locally appropriate solutions to critical problems. Internationally, we expand access to and improve the quality of services addressing maternal, newborn, and child health; infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; food and nutrition; and vulnerable children and families.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission (http://www.urc-chs.com/).
Building on our core values of collaboration, accountability and transparency, the newly created position of Vice President of Global Operations will provide critical leadership and direction to creating a single unified framework and procedures for program and corporate operations and management of performance across geographic and technical units. Operating in a climate of continuous learning and improvement and emphasizing both value for money and documented results, the Vice President will: 1) lead, integrate and align key operational functions to meet URC benchmarks and client targets in support of implementing development projects worldwide; 2) work with the Compliance Director to develop systems and procedures to ensure effective risk management; 3) align external and internal stakeholders around project level performance indicators that ensure quality implementation of, and client satisfaction with, projects implemented by URC; lead internal stakeholders to develop and meet unit and corporate level performance targets. The position reports to the Chief Operations Officer/Chief Compliance Officer (COO/CCO).
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Vice President of Global Operations will serve as a central resource at the corporate level to ensure that all policies and procedures are kept up to date and made available to and understood by all appropriate staff in all offices worldwide. He/she/they will maintain close relationships and coordinate with the members of the Executive Team, and other members of the URC team including, but not limited to, Compliance, Contracts and Grants Administration, Finance and the Technical Programs Divisions, other HQ staff, Chiefs of Party, and department directors and other members of overseas-based programs.
- Instituting and maintaining a lean and effective operations platform focused on performance, coordination, and innovation.
- Creating a detailed work plan including priorities, pathways for cross-divisional collaboration, and timely implementation of operations plans and initiatives.
- Contributing to the accomplishment of broad corporate objectives, including outside the realm of operations and performance management.
- Develop and effectively implement annual plans and budgets aligned to the long-term objectives for the team and the organization.
- Responsible for specific field office/program set-up and closeout procedures including registration, legal documents for field offices, delegations of authority, powers of attorney, banking resolutions, board resolutions, and other corporate documents.
- Develop procedures, organize and coordinate additional oversee project start-up and closeout activities including, but not limited to office and housing leases, compilation of labor laws, hiring of local staff, training new finance and administrative staff, and other key areas.
- Develop policies and procedures that are effectively communicated to staff and routinely assessed to ensure continuous improvement and learning.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and collaborate with key stakeholders on related implementation.
- Coordinate the execution of Supervise, mentor, and evaluate staff, including communicating clear performance goals and standards and providing regular feedback and opportunities for growth and development.
Performance and Risk Management
- Develop and execute an ongoing performance management function focused on meeting internal and external performance targets and client expectations.
- Coordinate closely with the Executive Vice President, Regional Team Leads, Project Directors and Coordinators and the Director of Compliance in developing and implementing project improvement and risk mitigation plans.
- Develop and implement tracking systems for project offices to monitor and document compliance with the URC-CHS policies and procedures, and specific process corrections assigned to them.
- In close collaboration with the Executive Team, establish corporate KPIs and reporting structure at the project and organizational levels.
- Proactively plan for and identify issues and risks at the project and organization level.
- Oversee and coordinate performance reviews and field reviews.
- Collaborate with Executive leadership to minimize corporate risks and address issues as they arise.
- Master’s degree in international development, program management, social sciences, economics or related field
- Ten or more years of experience working with U.S. government-funded (preferably USAID) contracts, grants and cooperative agreements with understanding of field management and operational issues
- Understanding of government U.S. Government regulations in general; CFR, FAR, and USAID specific regulations
- Understanding of other donor regulations, especially the U.S. Government as well as international development agencies and foundations
- Demonstrated experience in embracing a values and diversity-focused organization with a strong emphasis on learning and innovation
- Strong written and oral communications skills and ability to draft clear, concise guidelines
- Proven ability to work well in interdisciplinary teams and with diverse international staff at all levels
- Track record of teamwork integrating HQ and field operations
- Demonstrated experience organizing and facilitating operational reviews
- Demonstrated experience mentoring staff in operations and support services