Job Title: Social and Behavior Change Advisor / SAHAN Program Advisor
Department: East Africa
Based in Hargeisa, Somaliland
Reports to the Deputy Country Representative
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
We are looking for a Program Advisor for the Somali Advocates for Health and Nutrition (SAHAN), a Social Behavior Change and Demand Creation project implemented in Somalia/ Somaliland and designed to achieve increased demand for, Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) health services and promote appropriate healthy behaviors. SAHAN is a highly innovative, adaptive program and a critical component of the Somali Health and Nutrition Program (SHINE) funded through DFID to compliment supply interventions to respond to the unique health and nutrition challenges in Somalia. The program has strong user-centered design component which designs, tests and iterates various SBC interventions that will be piloted by various implementing partners across Somalia.
The SAHAN program is now at a critical phase of engaging implementing partners to pilot various SBC interventions in regions where integrated health services are being delivered across Somalia/ Somaliland. The program needs to move with speed to ensure milestones are met. The SAHAN Program Advisor will help steer this next phase with speed and energy and will work closely with PSI and implementing partner teams and other strategic partners to deliver an ambitious outline and mix of short, medium- and long-term program milestones under this dynamic project.
Sound like you? Read on.
Your level of effort will be directed towards ensuring donors, partners and Somali health authorities are fully updated and engaged in the program. You will be a passionate SBC thought leader not only within PSI but within the wider Somali health sector. You will also transfer capacity of key PSI SBC frameworks, like Keystone, within PSI and across the community of practice. The Project Advisor will also provide strategic guidance, and work through already existing field implementing teams to achieve program milestones. This position will not have implementing teams directly reporting to this position. Rather, effort will be directed towards providing strategic and technical guidance and ensuring teams work in harmony to produce desired program results.
-Provide strategic, technical guidance and direction to the program ensuring alignment with latest technical information, evidence and approaches in the SBC field, ensuring SAHAN remains an innovative but impactful program.
-Work closely with the SBC team and Market Development team to deliver high quality SBC interventions relevant to project, donor and partners deliverables and milestones.
-Provide SBC technical leadership among SAHAN and SHINE program implementing partners and wider Somali Health Sector.
-Travel to project implementation areas to provide on-site technical assistance to national and international implementing partners on project activities,
-Ensure the donor is fully updated, engaged and informed on program performance ensuring program deliverables are met
-Maintain stakeholder relations including, Somali Health Authorities, implementing partners and wider community of practice.
-Provide SBC and Demand Creation Thought Leadership within the Somali health sector.
-Work with other team leads and program heads to coordinate reporting to the donor
-Work closely with the learning advisor to drive the learning agenda within PSI and other partners in the wider community of practice
-Drive program advocacy, internally and externally through the media, events, conferences and meetings.
- A Master’s degree in public health, social psychology, communications, marketing, health communication, behavioral economics, or other relevant behavioral/social science field or Bachelor’s degree with at least 7-10 years of additional relevant experience.
- At least 7-10 years of demonstrated experience in designing and implementing SBC and marketing activities, preferably in conflict/ post conflict regions/ areas.
- At least 5 years working in developing countries settings, preferably in Somalia.
- Demonstrated success in generating innovative and effective behavior change or marketing solutions.
- Experience building capacity of civil society and/or government entities in social and behavior change.
- Demonstrated success building and managing relationships with various donors and implementing partners.
- Willingness to travel in the field (at least 50% field travel within Somalia)
- Professional fluency in English.
- Creativity and entrepreneurial outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- References will be required