- Senior Technical Advisor
- Department: Family Planning (FP) and Reproductive Health (RH)
- Based in Washington, DC
- Up to 25-30% international travel
- Reports to the Project Director, WISH
- Date: January 2018
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job. Join us!
The Family Planning and Reproductive Health Department at PSI supports programs in 37 countries (and counting) to deliver high-quality family planning/ reproductive health programs to women and girls. We are looking for a Senior Technical Advisor to provide FP/RH technical assistance and strategic guidance to PSI programs in Asia and Africa. This full-time position will be based in Washington, DC and will report to the Project Director on a $100M+ global Reproductive Health project, funded by the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID). Up to 30% international travel is required. Travel will primarily be to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh as well as to fragile or conflict countries in East Africa, including Somalia and South Sudan. Occasional travel to other countries in East and Southern Africa may also be required. This position requires teamwork, coordination, creativity, flexibility, and a can-do attitude! We want someone who can roll up their sleeves to make things happen, manage multiple and competing priorities, enjoy their work, and liaise diplomatically and effectively with multiple stakeholders and diverse teams. This position does not require a clinical background, but it does require someone who is passionate about and experienced in implementing family planning and reproductive health product and service delivery programs.
- Provide remote and in-country technical assistance to build the capacity of PSI in-country teams to effectively increase access to and uptake of FP/RH information, products and services, with an emphasis on post abortion care and safe abortion programs and modern contraception, including long acting reversible contraception and permanent methods.
- Support country programs to implement high-impact FP/RH practices, such as social franchising, social marketing, mobile/outreach services, community-based distribution and seconded providers.
- Assist country teams in developing strategies to make information, products and services more accessible to disadvantaged and underserved groups, with an emphasis on youth, and the poorest (those living on less than $1.90/day).
- Provide FP/RH thought leadership, analyzing and using available evidence to influence policy, funding, and practice at the country, regional and global levels.
- Assist in the development, review and monitoring of detailed country implementation plans, specifically for the DFID project, but also for other projects as needed.
- Develop annual capacity building and technical assistance plans, including objectives by country and planned long-distance and in-country technical assistance activities.
- Review and assess project progress against stated deliverables, helping country teams to identify, plan for and address implementation challenges of a technical nature.
- Proactively communicate with the Project Director, Deputy Director, Country FP/RH team leads, including the Country Representative, Regional leadership and the Global Medical Director to continually improve programming and problem solve challenges as they arise.
- Develop and roll out tools to improve program implementation as identified and needed.
- Contribute to programmatic reporting and provide project representation at stakeholder and donor meetings as needed.
- Identify and write technical and programmatic briefs as appropriate and disseminate and promote sharing of FP/RH information and initiatives to relevant channels.
- Represent PSI's FP/RH work externally as needed through partner and donor meetings, conferences, dissemination of case studies, etc.
- You have a Master's degree or higher in relevant subject areas.
- You have 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 4 years of overseas work experience in implementing family planning and reproductive health programs, preferably in contraceptive and safe abortion service delivery projects.
- You have at least 2 years of experience working on FP/RH programming in fragile states and conflict settings.
- You are fluent in English. French or Portuguese language skills are a plus.
- Your technical and proposal writing skills are excellent, with a strong attention to detail.
- You have strong facilitation, presentation and public speaking skills.
- You are organized, have strong communication skills and can manage multiple priorities.
- Knowledge of relevant FP/RH donors and their strategies.
- You are willing to travel and get work done-- sometimes on short notice and often to difficult operating environments.
- A bit of life experience – it's up to applicants to interpret what this means; there is no correct answer – it just means you have a story to tell!
- Experience communicating effectively in international organizations; getting things done while always keeping multiple stakeholders happy.
- Someone who is serious and yet doesn't take themselves too seriously.
- An advocate. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, international organizations, or global health donors in the areas of safe abortion and family planning.
- Someone who is versatile and ready to jump right in, fill gaps when and where needed, and manage a full plate efficiently and effectively.
- A demonstrated passion for reproductive health, including safe abortion care.