CARE is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor Family Planning/Reproductive Health (FP/RH) who will work in collaboration with the CARE team and BMGF team in India, lead the design and execution of a robust rights-based family planning program to increase use of birth spacing methods and reduce unintended and early childbearing. A particular focus on the program design will be increasing access to information, services and support for adolescents and young couples to support the delay of first births.
The STA FP/RH will report to the Sr. Director SRHR, CARE USA, with a dotted line to the Chief of Party in Bihar, and will provide strategic technical guidance and support to the Bihar team and their partners in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to support and strengthen Govt of Bihar family planning and reproductive health services, and to facilitate the sharing of experience and best practices across the state and within the region. The Senior Technical Advisor establishes and maintains excellent donor and partner collaboration in the area of FP/RH.
In India, CARE has worked for 60 years in its poorest regions and communities and maintains a strong presence in Bihar state. In 2011, with support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) CARE started work with the Integrated Family Health Initiative (IFHI) to implement innovative RMNCH interventions in eight districts of Bihar state. In 2013-14, the work evolved into a statewide Technical Support Unit (TSU) to support the Government of Bihar in improvements in key programs, policies and systems to improve health outcomes across the state.
- Provide high quality strategic and technical input, project design and implementation support Provide a high level of technical expertise and input into the development of a FP/RH strategy that is aligned with the GOB and the BMGF goals, and is evidence-based, context sensitive, and build on the latest global learning and thinking.
- Serve as the primary global technical expert/spokesperson for FP/RH for the Bihar program.
- Share up-to-date information with partners by locating, analyzing, and applying current research and learning to family planning and reproductive health.
- Evaluate proposed FP/RH program activities, including potential research studies, for additional funding.
- Ensure coordination with relevant stakeholders including BMGF and the Ministry of Health (MOH) and any other partners.
- Support the generation and use of data for program design and decision-making.
- Work closely with the Bihar team, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and other key stakeholders and partners to ensure FP/RH relevant data (both qualitative and quantitative) are collected and plans for analyzing and using data for decision-making are in place.
- Support design, execution and use of formative research to inform the design of the FP strategy, and to shape FP/RH program efforts throughout the Bihar program.
- Work closely with, and oversee as needed, key partners and consultants, to ensure high quality, timely production of program relevant data and learning.
- Resource mobilization
- Master’s degree in public health, sexual, reproductive health, behavioral/social science, or other related/relevant fields
- 12+ years’ experience in a relevant position, focused on developing country contexts
- Specialized expertise in international family planning
- Work experience in relevant roles specifically in India highly desirable
- Training in behavioral and social science theories, concepts and methods including program evaluation
- Understanding of the Government of India’s health system and the complexities of the Indian context with respect to SRMH
- Strong background in sexual, reproductive and maternal/newborn health and development (e.g. family planning and maternal newborn program design, implementation and evaluation, including community-based interventions)
- Demonstrated experience in project management and partnership building and collaboration
- Experience in resource mobilization and proposal development/management
- Strong project and team management skills necessary to engage and support a remote team within a complex organizational framework
- Strong skills in planning and organization, partnership and collaboration
- Evidence of excellent writing skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written formats - English proficiency
- Fluency in other languages (Hindi, or other related language preferred)
- Experience with ICT/mobile health, health systems strengthening, gender
- Clinical experience in reproductive, maternal, newborn or child health