Senior Nutrition Manager, Francophone West Africa
Co-founded in 1915 by Helen Keller, Helen Keller International is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the world’s vulnerable. We combat the causes and consequences of preventable blindness, malnutrition and diseases of poverty with more than 120 programs in 20 African and Asian countries, as well as in the United States. Renowned for its reliability, efficiency and high level of technical expertise, Helen Keller International promotes the development of large-scale, sustainable solutions to some of the most pressing issues in public health. The hallmark of the organization’s work is its proven success in developing, testing and scaling-up health interventions, and integrating them within government and community structures to support and build local capacity and sustainable solutions.
HKI is a partner with IntraHealth in the regional “Francophone West Africa Post Pregnancy Family planning, Nutrition and the Essential Newborn Care” (FWA PPFP) project which will assist the nine Francophone West African countries to develop and implement costed, evidence-based action plans for integration of postpartum family planning, essential newborn care, and nutrition services and policies while building the capacity of local institutions to provide technical assistance, data analysis, and supporting knowledge generation and sharing on integrated services across West Africa.
The project office and regional team will be based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and have national Coordinators in each of the 3 Flagship countries (Burkina Faso, Niger and Côte d’Ivoire).
HKI serves as the Nutrition lead for the program and is seeking a Senior Nutrition Manager, who has specific experience in integration of nutrition into other programs, to be based in the project office, to provide overall nutrition technical and strategic leadership.
The Senior Nutrition Manager will report to the Senior Advisor, Service Integration with a functional reporting line to HKI’s Africa Regional Nutrition Advisor (based in Dakar, Senegal), for nutrition strategy. The Senior Nutrition Manager will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team, working closely with other technical leads and project country staff. External collaboration includes representatives of partner organizations, Ministry of Health and other key stakeholders, as well as donors.
Regular communication and a spirit of team work among colleagues, both hierarchically and laterally are essential to make this structure thrive.
Scope of the Position
The Senior Nutrition Manager will provide overall technical leadership for the project, working closely with other leads to develop strategies for integrated service, policy, and training across nutrition, family planning, and newborn care. S/he will provide technical assistance and guidance in three focus countries (Burkina Faso, Niger, Côte d’Ivoire) for the project, while supporting broader diffusion and support across all nine francophone countries in West Africa. The Senior Nutrition Manager will provide technical assistance to integrate nutrition policies, services, best practices, communication tools, training modules, and monitoring and evaluation frameworks at the country level. The incumbent will also be responsible for representing HKI and managing relationships with project partners and stakeholders at the regional and country level.
Program Planning, Management and Leadership
• Lead the nutrition component and contribute to the development of overall program technical and programmatic strategies at the regional and country level.
• Work with country and regional program staff to identify opportunities for integration of nutrition into country policies, service delivery, capacity building, and information systems.
• Support project and country teams to develop and implement strategies, plans, and tools for integrated nutrition, family planning, and newborn care.
• Work with regional bodies and partner institutions to build regional capacity to support countries to sustainably roll out integrated services and policies.
• Works with HKI staff to ensure timely program implementation and accountability.
Monitoring & Evaluation and Research
• Provide technical assistance for program situation assessments, and the development of results frameworks, monitoring and evaluation plans, and identification of indicators.
• Support regional project team in to define program monitoring and build capacity on effective use of data to inform and modify program design/activities.
• Lead nutrition project annual planning, reporting and documentation and contribute to same for overall project requirements.
• Support project partners to document and publish/present interesting programmatic findings and lessons learned.
• Represent HKI and the project at appropriate global, regional and country meetings related to the project.
• Participate actively at the regional and country level, as appropriate, in meetings and workshops with MOH technical teams and partners for program monitoring.