Helen Keller Intl
Senior Advisor, Capacity Strengthening
USAID Advancing Nutrition
(Arlington, VA; currently working remotely due to pandemic)
Helen Keller Intl is a global health organization dedicated to eliminating preventable vision loss, malnutrition and diseases of poverty. Cofounded by Helen Keller – and guided by her fierce optimism and belief in human potential – the organization delivers life-changing health solutions to vulnerable families where the need is great but access to care is limited. In the U.S., Africa, and Asia, Helen Keller’s proven, science-based programs empower people to create opportunities in their own lives and build lasting change.
Helen Keller is a partner in USAID Advancing Nutrition, USAID’s flagship nutrition project, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners. Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
The Senior Advisor, Capacity Strengthening will provide technical leadership and strategic guidance for the design and implementation of capacity strengthening activities across the USAID Advancing Nutrition portfolio, with a strong focus on food systems and diet quality. S/he will provide technical leadership for designing capacity strengthening activities that reach specific audiences through courses, mentoring programs and organizational capacity development. Working collaboratively with other technical experts, s/he will also play a critical role in supporting the design of needs assessments and measurement approaches for capacity strengthening activities. The Senior Advisor will collaborate with technical experts across project teams to ensure expert implementation and quality. The Senior Advisor reports to the Director for Capacity Strengthening and is based in Arlington, VA. Please note the JSI office is closed due to the ongoing pandemic and that all project staff are working remotely until the office reopens.
This position is advertised through multiple USAID Advancing Nutrition consortium partners and is fully seconded to the project. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply through the single
(1) organization they are most interested in working for. Submitting applications through more than one (1) consortium partner is prohibited and could result in disqualification.
The Senior Advisor, Capacity Strengthening will:
Provide leadership and oversight in strengthening capacity for a range of actors addressing food systems and healthier diets through multi-sectoral nutrition efforts.
Lead the design of capacity strengthening activities, develop appropriate program guidance, and provide technical assistance.
Provide technical support to USAID and priority countries through capacity development efforts including training, webinars, briefs and other capacity development activities in nutrition.
Actively contribute to the project’s technical direction by developing strategies and partnerships to increase program coverage, visibility, and resource availability.
Collaborate with technical advisors and other staff to design and develop improved training curricula for a range of users including USAID, governments, implementing partners and community organizations.
Create up-to-date, evidence-based technical documents related to capacity strengthening that are useful to USAID priority countries.
Participate in program design meetings and contribute to the development of activities with a strong capacity strengthening focus across the USAID Advancing Nutrition portfolio, as appropriate.
Create and lead training for project staff to build understanding project-wide of effective capacity strengthening for USAID Mission staff, government stakeholders, civil society, and implementing partner staff.
Contribute to the development of team (both global and country) work plans and budgets, ensuring consistency with project direction and strategy.
Supervise or mentor junior staff to facilitate professional growth and development.
Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Master’s degree in education, adult learning, instructional design, nutrition, food security, public health or related field; plus
- Required Experience: Minimum 15 years of experience in international public health programming with an emphasis on capacity strengthening, project learning and adaptation, adult learning methods, training and facilitation, civil society strengthening, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required Skills/Experience:
- Technical expertise in a range of effective capacity strengthening methods, including pre-service training, curriculum development, mentoring program design and organizational capacity development.
- Solid understanding of quantitative and qualitative approaches to measuring the outcomes of capacity strengthening activities for individuals and organizations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in teams and cross-cultural settings, with demonstrated ability to deliver technical assistance for global audiences.
- Ability to direct multiple long and short-term activities simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of USAID and other donor policies, strategies, and program priorities preferred.
- Preferred Skills/Experience:
- Experience designing capacity strengthening programs of various types for USAID missions.
- Demonstrated ability to work with local partners, including work on the New Partnerships Initiative or similar organizational capacity strengthening program targeting small and medium size organizations.
- Technical background in food systems, health systems strengthening, nutrition and/or food security.
- Extensive experience working with a range of in-country partners, including USAID missions, government, implementing partners and local organizations.
- Excellent time management and personal organization skills.
- Travel: Ability to undertake field travel (approximately 30%).
- Languages: English fluency required. French or Portuguese preferred.