About Metrics for Management
Metrics for Management (M4M) is a nonprofit organization, created with a vision to establish common metrics and the tools to apply them in order to enable governments and NGOs alike to measure what matters and better serve those in need. M4M designs, promotes, and standardizes performance measures in health service delivery to improve health outcomes and well-being in low- and middle- income countries (LMICs). We work to assure accurate and relevant data is collected, that common metrics are agreed on to measure performance, and that those metrics are widely disseminated and used. By building global consensus and through rigorous research, we develop easy-to-implement, easy-to-understand, real-time performance metrics to help managers assess and improve the performance of their own program, institution, facility, or district. We also provide in-country technical assistance to assist implementers in the application, adaptation, and development of performance measures to meet local program needs.
We are a small, but highly efficient, team. Our research team and this position is based in Baltimore. Joining a small team provides immediate opportunities for leadership, the chance to diversify your skill set by working on a variety of projects and even to propose your own innovations, the ability to quickly advance the work, and the potential to make a big impact.
Please visit our website at www.m4mgmt.org to learn more about our work and current projects.
Metrics for Management seeks a qualified Research Analyst to support research, evaluation, and technical assistance activities under the direction of the Director of Research and Technical Assistance. The Research & Technical Assistance team conducts primary and secondary health services research, responds to inquiries from users of our existing portfolio of metrics, and supports the creation and adaptation of new health services metrics.
The primary focus on this position will be to support Metrics for Management’s work to address data needs that contribute to the equitable provision of high-quality family planning and other health services. Activities may include identification, acquisition and analysis of health data with an emphasis on ease of use; project management and tracking; literature review and report writing; conduct of remote and in-country technical assistance and training activities; and support for research design and implementation.
In addition, the Research Analyst will support the advancement of our core metric development, testing, and technical support initiatives that seek to improve the measurement, understanding, and delivery of health services. Current areas of focus are family planning, maternal, adolescent and child health, abortion, equity and health financing. In addition, all M4M team members are encouraged to propose new metric opportunities, as well as refinements and additions to our current suite of metrics.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to publish articles, attend and present at international conferences, and use and learn a variety of quantitative and qualitative research and analysis techniques.
The Research Analyst roles include:
• Lead project tracking and project management to ensure timely and complete delivery of all project activities.
• Support project and metric research and analysis, as well as implementation of project activities, and both remote and in-country technical assistance.
• Support the development of research and evaluation protocols on topics such as health services quality, health financing, equity and access to health services under the direction of the Director of Research and in collaboration with project leads, including study designs such as quasi-experimental studies, cross-sectional studies using primary or secondary data or qualitative approaches.
• On site management of project, research study and/or evaluation implementation in LMICs, including checking for data quality control, facilitating data collector training, and providing technical assistance for in-county service providers and/or government actors.
• Conduct data cleaning and analysis using a wide array of quantitative and qualitative research techniques. Quantitative techniques may include multivariate regression, factor analysis or econometric models.
• Draft background papers, literature reviews and support proposal development.
• Engage in report writing, and presentations to report on research results.
• Participate in the routine development and maintenance of existing M4M metrics, as well as creation of new global goods metrics.
Preference for a candidate based in Baltimore, MD or with the ability to routinely work out of the Baltimore office. Qualified candidates based in other US locations will be considered, with an expectation of quarterly travel to Baltimore.
Metrics for Management offers highly subsidized health, vision, and dental insurance, plus a 3% contribution to your SIMPLE IRA retirement account. In addition, employees accrue up to 3 weeks of vacation each year in their first two years of employment, increasing in subsequent years. We also offer 10 holidays, as well as sick days.
Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.