- Regional Director, West and Central Africa Based in Washington, DC
- Up to 35% international travel
- Reports to the Chief Operating Officer
Who we are:
With over 45 years of experience working in over 40 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do. Join us!
PSI seeks experienced candidates for the position of Regional Director, West and Central Africa (WCA). The WCA Regional Director (RD) should have significant management and international experience, an interest in private sector approaches to development, relevant language skills, and be capable of thoroughly understanding and successfully implementing health social marketing and entrepreneurship and international health programs.
We invite you to be the conductor of our operations in 11 countries in West and Central Africa (Senegal, Mali, Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Niger, Guinee, Liberia). We want someone who can provide programmatic oversight and leads overseas programs and international staff as well the WCA regional support team based in Washington DC. As such, you will be responsible for maintaining the quality of PSI’s operations, developing new business opportunities, and giving country representatives maximum sensible discretion and authority.
- Supervision of the design, development and implementation of programs in WCA;
- Budgetary (P&L) responsibility for an estimated $180m annual operating budget;
- Management of regional staff, including Country Representatives and support staff (DC or Regionally based);
- Roll out and implementation of PSI's global strategy 2018-2020 across the region;
- Competent and successful implementation of programs in the field;
- Assurance of programmatic, budget and contractual compliance;
- Recruitment and development of international staff and support to country programs to recruit and develop high performing national staff;
- Management of personnel issues for direct reports; support of management of personnel issues of staff within the region as needed;
- Fiscal management of the WCA region, including coordination between country offices and PSI/W Accounting, Finance and Contracts;
- Promotion of an ethical work environment, in line with PSI's values of honesty and acting with integrity;
- Reduction of risk of fraud and mismanagement of funds by working closely with our Global Internal Audit to apply appropriate internal controls;
- Fundraising to support existing and new programs in the region; oversight of donor relations in the field in support of country teams;
- Safety and security assurance within the region including compliance with PSI security policies;
- Active contribution to strengthening and improving PSI global policies, strategies and systems related to country, regional and global operations;
- Develop and manage appropriate governance structures for WCA country programs, including supporting board development for national NGO members.
- At least 15 years of personnel and financial management experience, preferably in the fields of development, global health or communications;
- Minimum 5 years of resident work experience, preferably in West and Central Africa;
- Demonstrated strengths in strategic organizational leadership;
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.);
- Knowledge of international development and health issues;
- Familiarity with USAID, GFATM, and the international donor community;
- Fluency in English and French.
- Collaborative spirit. We want someone who actively listens and communicates. Who can connect easily with her/his team and gain their trust and respect. Who can work well across departments -- with executive team members, technical departments, and organizational peers.
- Strategic problem solving skills. You have the intelligence to anticipate challenges and the resourcefulness to find solutions.
- Organizational skills. You are able to corral the troops to develop collaborative timelines and execute action plans