The Consultant will work with key program staff at PCI, A Global Communities Partner (PCI/GC), to lead the exploration and pursuit of funding opportunities to expand the organization’s perinatal health programming in the San Diego and U.S./Mexico border region, with a focus on pregnancy care, the use of birth doulas, breastfeeding, and other maternal health interventions for communities experience the greatest disparities in perinatal health outcomes. The consultancy will take place through June 30, 2021 with the possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and donor deadlines.
Specifically, the consultant will conduct/produce the following:
Act as lead writer / proposal developer on a supplemental funding opportunity for an existing doula program due June 30, adapting content from past proposals and program materials. Consultant will meet at least once with program team and key partners, facilitating inputs and incorporating feedback as appropriate.
Conduct background research on a new project/funding opportunity pertaining to breastfeeding/chestfeeding. Research will include:
Research & document donor priorities to ensure alignment with proposal content;
Literature review and consolidation of key data points and citations to support proposals.
Research local partners and programs to identify strengths and gaps, and assess local needs to inform proposed strategies.
Present research to program and new business team.
The consultant will be expected to communicate at least weekly and more as appropriate with assigned lead staff to provide updates, coordinate on activities, and plan needed inputs.
- Education: Graduate level degree preferred
- Excellent proposal development and grant writing experience, with a track record of successful proposal wins
- Experience or familiarity with U.S. government grant proposal preparation and regulations, including State and Federal funding opportunities
- Knowledge of perinatal health
- Knowledge of non-profit/social service work
- Strong analytical, data interpretation, and synthesis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills, including ability to effectively communicate across cultures
- Passion for community-based programs focused on achieving equity