MiracleFeet is a global nonprofit working to eliminate a leading cause of physical disability worldwide. Over two million children live with the severe consequences of a treatable birth defect known as clubfoot, and at least 175,000 more babies are born with it every year. Thanks to a non-surgical solution called the Ponseti method, 95 percent of cases can be fully treated for less than $500. Since 2010, MiracleFeet has scaled this proven, low-cost treatment to 29 countries where children previously had limited or no access to care. Still, today fewer than one in five children has access to treatment.
The Monitoring, Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager will be the organizational champion of the use of data within MiracleFeet and by its partners, in our quest to ensure that all children born with clubfoot have access to high-quality treatment. This person will ensure a robust MEAL data system and be involved in all phases of the data lifecycle to support and enhance the collection of quality data, management, synthesis, and analysis of program data; interpret and facilitate its use in decision-making at all levels; and track and report progress towards achieving results. The MEAL Manager will guide reporting processes amongst programs staff, consolidate program reports, and promote learning and knowledge-sharing of best practices and lessons learned. In addition, this person will be responsible for leading the design, strengthening, and implementation of the program monitoring, evaluation, and learning framework to track delivery against targets/projections, outcomes, and impacts.
This position reports to the Director of Programs and works closely with members of the broader MiracleFeet Programs, Program Solutions Team, and MiracleFeet partners. This is a full-time, exempt position, based either in MiracleFeet’s Chapel Hill office or remotely in the U.S. Applicants outside of the United States will also be considered under consultancy conditions which differ from the terms of employment outlined in this job description.
MEAL and Data Strategy, Reporting, Planning, and Training
Using best practices in global health monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning:
• Lead the development, implementation, and advocacy of MiracleFeet’s MEAL approaches, identify areas of strength, and opportunities for growth, and promote best practices. Collaborate with programs team (based in Asia, Africa, and Latin America) and departmental leadership on individual country MEAL planning and development.
• On an ongoing basis, analyze quantitative and qualitative data to support partners and staff in improving treatment and program quality, and reducing dropouts.
• Support the development and implementation of various national clubfoot program evaluations and assessment activities.
• Collaborate with MiracleFeet’s Programs and Program Solutions Team to identify and adapt approaches, tools, and resources to better equip partners to demonstrate program outcomes and impact.
• Deliver training and provide coaching as necessary on the use of data for decision-making and data analysis to program staff and partners.
• Regularly monitor and ensure data integrity and data quality assessment for clubfoot global KPIs in collaboration with the MiracleFeet CAST Application Support Analysts and contribute to drafting/reviewing relevant components of all relevant reports.
• Prepare analytical Programs Performance Reports based on data generated from Salesforce, program reports, and research results to MiracleFeet staff to enhance decision-making. As necessary, respond to requests for data analysis and other special reports for donors and other stakeholders
• Research, compile, write, and submit information, including results and their analysis, for reports, such as quarterly and annual reports and respond to requests for data from stakeholders.
• Collaborate with the regional teams to collect and disseminate best practices and lessons learned from the partners and prepare summary reports to guide knowledge sharing and continuous improvement.
• Provide technical support to Programs Team on MEAL as necessary particularly to target and/or adapt programming.
• Serve as MEAL representative for USAID ReLAB-HS grant project. This involves developing MiracleFeet’s indicators and report on achievements as required by the consortium while consulting with consortium members on program indicators and serving as MiracleFeet representative on relevant consortium working groups.
• Develop and continually refine key program indicators and recommend improvements.
• Initiate, coordinate, and/or participate in evaluations, research projects, and opportunities within MiracleFeet and with external parties.
• Work with the Director of Programs and Technical Director to prioritize research opportunities.
• Help ensure partner experience and needs are represented in the design and implementation processes and in product development initiatives.
• Represent MiracleFeet at global public health, social innovation, and technology for social good convenings.
Learning and Knowledge Management
• Ensure that relevant project documentation is well organized and best practices, lessons, success stories, case studies, etc. are well captured, synthesized, packaged, produced, and shared to relevant stakeholders using appropriate technologies and methods.
• Ensure MEAL evidence is available to Programs Team and Leadership Team for decision making and continuous performance improvement.
• Facilitate regular project implementation and performance review sessions and learning events.
• Define MEAL-related inputs required from partners and oversee the quality of deliverables and outcomes
• Design the evaluation and learning strategy of MiracleFeet clubfoot program, according to MiracleFeet tools and methodology
Support CAST Implementation for MiracleFeet
• The MEAL Manager will support partners in using the CAST mobile application as the primary method of data collection and ensuring data presented in Salesforce reports and dashboards is regularly used for programmatic decision-making, including:
• In coordination with the Regional Application Support Analysts, create plans with field staff and to implement CAST and the CAST Community in new programs, partners, and countries.
• Develop and maintain training resources to support global use of CAST and the CAST Community. Distribute best practice guidelines for effective long-term CAST and CAST Community usage.
• Provide regular input to the Program Solutions Team on design and development requirements for the CAST mobile application and Salesforce reports. Participate in product development projects and inform the product roadmap for MiracleFeet’s MEAL applications and systems.
Fundraising and Marketing Support
• Contribute to MiracleFeet proposals and donor interactions with country-level performance indicator results and information on data collection, monitoring evaluation, and learning systems, processes, and tools.
• Increase MiracleFeet’s standing in the grantmaking community and our credibility with our stakeholders by improving our ability to collect, analyze, and document results and program impact.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as public health, social sciences, international development, or other related fields
- At least five years of experience designing and implementing monitoring, evaluating, and learning activities for complex programs in low and middle-income countries
- A firm command of the MEAL issues with respect to health services and health systems strengthening
- Excellent written, analytical, and verbal communication skills in English, and a second language – French or Spanish - with the ability to synthesize information quickly and communicate effectively to diverse audiences
- This position will involve about 25% of international travel whenever it is safe to do so.
- Experience working on MEAL for USAID-funded projects
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing MEAL systems that track project performance
- Experience using technology platforms for reporting and data analysis (Salesforce a plus) database
- Experience working on technology or mobile health projects, especially training, administration, and user support
- Experience leading data quality audits and participating in digital solutions activities
- Experience developing and facilitating MEAL - capacity strengthening efforts
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Flexible to the needs of partners and the challenges often faced when working in low- and middle-income countries
- Strong organizational skills for monitoring and reporting on program and program outcomes and impacts
- Empathy and sensitivity to the context and constraints of organizations in middle and low-income countries and ability to work collaboratively with humility across multiple cultural contexts
- Good knowledge of health information systems
- Experience in project management, including working with diverse teams of stakeholders
- Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research
- Technical aptitude and eagerness to develop this skillset
- Experience in data presentation, visualization, use and dashboard development
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing monitoring and evaluation and/or performance monitoring plans
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies
- Experience in planning and managing surveys
- Experience developing and refining data collection tools
- Should be proficient in computer operation, particularly in STATA/SPSS/ R, MS Excel.