StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, N.J, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women of all ages in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited.
Since its start in 2014, StrongMinds (SM) has treated over 80,000 women with depression in Uganda, and Zambia. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years. StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times, Forbes and the BBC, we are described by Founders Pledge as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world.
Position: Human Resources (HR) Consultant
The HR Consultant position is for a duration of two months, with a potential to extend to three months pending initial achievements.
The consultant will report to the CEO and partner with the COO and CFO of the organization (the CEO, COO and CFO comprise StrongMinds’ Executive Leadership Team, or ELT). S/he will provide strategic guidance to the ELT as the organization strives to elevate HR management across the three StrongMinds entities: US, Uganda and Zambia. The consultant will be expected to survey current practices and employee attitudes about human resources management at StrongMinds. The HR consultant will then be expected to make significant and detailed recommendations to the ELT regarding ways in which StrongMinds can fully prioritize and standardize how the organization manages its people.
- Collaboratively partner with the ELT.
- Review all HR practices and policies of StrongMinds in the US and Africa in order to understand the current situation.
- Ensure that a basic understanding of HR legal requirements for each SM country (US, Uganda, Zambia) is established.
- Survey a representative sampling of SM employees to ensure that current attitudes and opportunities for improvement are identified.
- Determine to what extent SM can standardize its HR processes and policies given the diversity of its country office locations.
- Support the finalization and adoption/roll out of recently revised gender equity policies.
- In close consultation with the ELT, and leveraging the consultant’s own experience and best industry practices, propose a series of strategic/tactical plans that SM should undertake to fulfill its goal to elevate and innovate its HR management, spanning all HR disciplines from performance management to talent acquisition to payroll processing.
- Provide weekly reports and meeting debriefs to CEO and ELT.
Flexible work arrangements available – candidate can either work in the Maplewood, NJ office or remote from anywhere.
On/about March 1, 2021.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10+ years of senior Human Resources management experience for international organizations (nonprofit preferred) to include at least 5 years with direct experience leading/supporting teams in Africa.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strategic thinker; ability to recommend/propose innovative approaches to HR management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to inspire trust and discuss sensitive topics professionally and confidentially.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills without compromising on quality.
- Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of StrongMinds.