Role & Responsibilities
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health, nutrition, and protection staff in Syria and to interact with Medair’s Senior Health Advisor based at Headquarters. Peer communication with colleagues in the region on quality and innovative approaches is expected. Develop the strategies, guide, monitor, and evaluate the health, nutrition and protection aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health authorities and other NGOs. Provide technical expertise and input on all health, nutrition, and protection elements of proposals and reports, provide capacity building for national and international staff, and promote best practice in the health programmes and contributing to the overall management of the country programme.
The Syria programme is part of the Middle East response and is significantly growing. Medair was first registered in Syria in 2015 and has since successfully completed projects in Rural Damascus, Homs and Aleppo Governorates for rehab and re-equipping of primary healthcare clinics, development of community-based health programmes, capacity building for health staff and community workers, establishment of nutrition programmes, the rehabilitation of urban water systems, and the provision of shelter kits to vulnerable households. Additionally, in response to the need for, and gaps in, support for people with physical disabilities at household and community level, Medair is responding with further interventions to this vulnerable group. Medair is planning to expand to Deir Ez Zor Governorate before the end of 2018 with similar programming. Access to project locations by international staff is limited, as movement permissions are often restricted, however national staff typically have regular direct access.
Workplace & Conditions
Field capital-based position in Damascus, Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Nutrition and Protection (Including Disability) Project Technical Oversight
• Maintain an overview of the health, nutrition and disability programmes and of the country contexts.
• Develop clear strategies and guidelines for the programmes, giving technical advice and input.
• Lead on the mainstreaming of protection issues and its integration across all sectors.
• Provide technical support to the health, nutrition and protection teams, including the evaluation and the writing of donor proposals and reports within the required timeframes.
• Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that objectives are met.
• Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
• Maintain technical oversight of medicines, medical equipment, and health supplies ordered.
• Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the programme.
• Develop and maintain high level relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness and partnerships.
• Seek out relevant networks on specific health- nutrition and protection-related humanitarian aid issues.
• Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted.
• Represent Medair at national health cluster, working groups, with national and/or local government departments, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the health sector.
• Develop relevant technical training programme for all health staff (international and national). Create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints.
• Support line managers in inductions and appraisals, particularly with regard to technical skills.
• Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct health, nutrition and protection budgets.
• Ensure health, nutrition and protection projects are implemented in line with donor requirements.
• Provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of health programmes and interventions.
• Maintain a resource library of materials. Ensure all have access to necessary information as required.
• Contribute to Medair’s regional approach in the Middle East, in particular through sharing relevant information and resources; and contributing to the development of common approaches.
• Overall responsibility for setting the standards on staff health/occupational health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country.
Team Spiritual Life
• Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
• Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
• Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.