Role & Responsibilities
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health and nutrition staff. Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the health and nutrition aspects of the country programme. Coordinate and network at a senior level with national and regional health authorities and other NGOs. Lead on all health and nutrition elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff. Promote best practice in the health and nutrition programmes and contribute to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is currently implementing WASH and Food Security projects in Central Highlands (CHL) which also include Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Food Assistance (cash programming) components when needed. Medair is also operating in the Southern region of Afghanistan, implementing lifesaving nutrition projects through mobile clinics combined with behaviour change communication, WASH and Food Security activities focusing on Internally Displaced People (IDP) and conflict affected communities.
Key Activity Areas
Health & Nutrition Project Technical Oversight
• Maintain an overview of the country health and nutrition programme and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and proactively planning for responsible exit.
• Give technical advice to field managers and make recommendations to the Global Support Office on potential involvement in new health interventions and internal health and nutrition capacity for implementation.
• Provide technical support to the health and nutrition teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
• Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that project objectives are met within the stated timeframes.
• Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection (qualitative and quantitative), do data analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
• Maintain an oversight of medicines and health and nutrition supplies ordered for the health projects.
• Take the lead in health and nutrition aspects of external relations in the country with authorities and government ministries, UN agencies, partner NGOs and donors, in consultation with the Country Director.
• Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners and other stakeholders, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
• Represent Medair at national health and nutrition cluster, coordination, sector and bilateral meetings, working groups, with local government departments, facilitating supportive synergies and overall progress in the health sector and avoiding duplication with the work of other agencies (e.g. NGOs, UN, etc.).
• Ensure health and nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
• Regularly assess and provide feedback to Global Support Office advisors as well as field staff on the quality of health and nutrition programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
• Maintain a resource library for the team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector.
• Work with the relevant field managers and HQ staff to plan and construct health and nutrition budgets.
• Ensure the health and nutrition project expenditure is in line with approved budgets, advising on potential under / over spend and recommending appropriate corrective action, in close collaboration with the PMs and PCs.
• Be involved in the recruitment of health and nutrition staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
• Ensure that all health and nutrition staff are adequately trained and create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints. Plan and develop training material as required.
• Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of health and nutrition staff.
• Overall responsibility for staff health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country.
Team Spiritual Life
• Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
• Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
• Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.