OPEN POSITION: Global Health Communications Internship – Spring 2018
REPORTS TO: Communications and Knowledge Manager
LOCATION: Washington, DC
COMPENSATION: Unpaid; School credit available
HIRING NEED: Starting on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
TIME COMMITMENT: 20 hours/week through Friday, April 27, 2018
Start date, end date, and schedule are flexible.
CORE Group emerged organically in 1997 out of a need among global health professionals to share knowledge and ideas about how to best help children survive. Today, CORE Group convenes thousands of members and partners worldwide to share evidence and best practices, and then translates these into the real world with a direct impact.
As a neutral, trusted platform, we bring our members and broader International Community Health Network together to foster collaboration and learning, strengthen technical capacity, develop innovative tools and resources, and scale evidence-based approaches to improving community health. Learn more here: www.coregroup.org.
The global health communications intern will play an important role in facilitating effective knowledge exchange, communication, and learning among CORE Group’s International Community Health Network, comprised of 10,000+ global health professionals around the world, including experts in maternal and child health, social and behavior change, nutrition, health systems strengthening, monitoring and evaluation, and more.
This internship presents a unique opportunity to learn the inner workings of a small nonprofit while gaining exposure to a range of global health issues and a large network of global health implementers, advocates, researchers, and donors around the world. While the internship will center on communications, the intern will also have the opportunity to work in operations, business development, project management, and more.
General responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
CONTRIBUTE TO CORE GROUP WEBSITE UPDATES AND IMPROVEMENTS
- Conduct user experience interviews and user surveys for the recently redesigned CORE Group website.
- Assist with website updates including adding new resources and events, organizing content in the back end, optimizing content for search engines, etc.
- Participate in meetings with website developers.
- Regularly moderate job postings and event calendar submissions.
- Monitor and perform basic analysis of Google Analytics data.
- Conduct interviews on efficiency and usability of outward facing database elements
MAINTAIN AND UPDATE MEMBERSHIP DATABASE
- Analyze current membership database for accuracy.
- Reach out to contacts and conduct research to complete organizational data where necessary.
- Develop and present strategy for keeping contacts and other data current on multiple platforms (Constant Contact, listservs, Abila NetForum)
COLLABORATE ON DEVELOPMENT OF REPORTS, RESOURCES, AND OTHER PRODUCTS
- Assist with writing, copyediting, proofreading, layout, and design for a variety of documents including annual report and other reports for projects and grants; new tools and resources; events materials; promotional materials such as one-pagers and brochures; grant proposals; and more. Opportunities for more advanced graphic design and video production may be available.
PROVIDE CONTENT AND STRATEGY ASSISTANCE FOR SOCIAL MEDIA AND E-NEWSLETERS
- Monitor Twitter for relevant conversations, and make recommendations for Twitter communications.
- Assist with management and strategy for additional social media presences on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Gather content for the quarterly CORE Group e-newsletter, and the quarterly Member Highlights e-newsletter.
- Monitor and perform basic analysis of social media and e-newsletter analytics data.
SUPPORT CONFERENCES, EVENTS, AND WEBINARS
- Assist with promotional outreach for upcoming CORE Group and partner events.
- Assist with planning for the next CORE Group Global Health Practitioner Conference, to be held June 4 – 7, 2018 in Bethesda, MD. (There may be an opportunity to extend the internship through this conference.)
- Attend events as needed to assist with setup, registration, note taking, photography, etc.
- Assist with running and facilitating webinars through Adobe Connect.
- Interest/experience in international development issues, particularly global health.
- Experience in Microsoft Office software.
- Experience with website management, email marketing, and/or social media platforms in a professional setting is ideal.
- Basic layout and design skills helpful, especially experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple deadlines.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure with flexibility in a team setting.
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of French and/or Spanish helpful.