HI is a leading actor in disability inclusion and alongside key stakeholders such as UNICEF, WHO, the World Bank, promotes Early Childhood Development (ECD) as a powerful equalizer to allow every child to develop their full potential, including children with disabilities. Since its launch in 2018, HI promoted internally the awareness and application of the global Nurturing Care Framework and is now piloting its implementation in selected countries.
In this context, HI is looking for a dynamic ECD Specialist motivated to provide technical support to the design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the ECD HI frame. The ECD Specialist will have a strong understanding of global evidence, best practices, and gaps around early childhood development interventions. The ideal candidate will have a particular experience integrating ECD into health contact points with caregivers and their children. S/he will also have experience operationalizing the Nurturing Care Framework and integrating ECD interventions into other service delivery platforms, such as rehabilitation, education, and protection. A sound comprehension of the gender, age and disability perspective on ECD is a plus.
The ECD Specialist will lead technical discussions and strategic thinking around ECD (particularly early detection, early intervention, MHPSS for the caregiver and child) with key internal stakeholders, such as the Specialists from the other Technical Directions (Rehabilitation, Social & Inclusion, Protection), Operation Officers and Geographic Directors, HI field staffs etc. The ECD Specialist will lead ECD activities, coordinating with the Knowledge Management Direction to stay abreast of research and best practices related to multi-sectoral ECD interventions.
The ECD Specialist will contribute to strategic plans, budget development, and annual/quarterly work plans as well as provide overall ECD technical guidance in line with HI strategic vision. In addition to global-level contributions, the ECD Specialist will provide ECD technical assistance to countries, leading the development, adaptation and implementation of 0-8 ECD materials and interventions.
Under the direct responsibility of the Global Health Division Director, the ECD Specialist will have four main responsibilities:
Provide Technical support to the development of ECD projects
• Develop and roll out tools, resources, and trainings to improve ECD program implementation
• Provide technical and programmatic support to build the capacity of in-country teams on ECD programming
• Participate in the development and monitoring of technical work plans and budgets, ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program interventions, coordinate partners’ efforts in program implementation
• Undertake regular technical supportive supervision, mentoring and monitoring visits to project sites as necessary
• Work with and provide technical leadership and support to relevant project staff for effective program planning, implementation and monitoring
• Provide technical support to ongoing maternal, newborn and child health projects
• Encourage and support the multi-sectoral collaboration to optimize child development, especially for children with developmental delays and disabilities and their families (i.e. Rehabilitation, MHPSS)
2/Definition of Technical framework
• Lead on the elaboration of HI’s ECD Guidance Document and its internal and external dissemination
• Contribution to the elaboration, dissemination and implementation of the ECD strategic action plan
• Identify and define integrated ECD interventions with relevant sectors
3/Continuous learning and knowledge management
Work with the country teams to systematically document all processes, tools and lessons learned and liaise with other senior project staff in order to identify areas of improvement
• Explore and take advantage of opportunities to share/disseminate HI’s ECD program evaluation results
• Assist in preparing donor progress reports
• Facilitate knowledge generation and lessons learned events within HI and with relevant stakeholders through, publications, webinars and other knowledge sharing forums.
• Share and disseminate internally HI’s ECD knowledge, skills and know-how
• Lead the knowledge management related to ECD programming, coordinate with other relevant sectors so that they can contribute to the process, and assure that a lessons learned mechanism is elaborated and fully functional
• Development and contribution to new ECD related resources and publications
• Contribute to and facilitate learning across HI’s geographical and programmatic areas
4/Networking and representation
Promote externally HI’s visibility, capacity and know-how in the field of ECD
• Active participation in international networks on ECD such as ECDAN, etc.
• Represent HI in major international fora, initiatives and events related to ECD, with frequent contact with international donors