Summary: Provides overall support for implementation of Pathfinder’s organizational compliance program and serves as the subject matter expert for internal investigations. Conducts, oversees, and collaborates on in-country investigations as appropriate, including in coordination with Internal Audit and by providing guidance to in-country investigators and Local Compliance Officers (LCOs). Supports the implementation of risk management and mitigation controls to ensure compliance with applicable US and international laws and regulations; donor requirements; and Pathfinder policies, procedures and standards of conduct.
Key Job Outcomes:
Compliance Program Implementation: Provides overall support for the development and implementation of the Pathfinder compliance program, including policy management, compliance training and communications, internal reporting, and integration of compliance into Pathfinder business processes.
Investigations: Conducts, oversees, or collaborates on internal investigations which might involve misconduct by employees, sub-awardees, agents, or vendors across Pathfinder offices by partnering with other Business Unit leads e.g. Internal Audit, HR.
Sets best practices to ensure investigations are unbiased, timely and conducted in accordance with Pathfinder policy and industry standard. Reviews misconduct complaints, develops investigative plans, conducts fact-finding, gathers data, conducts interviews, analyzes data for materiality and relevance, and makes credibility determinations.
Provides guidance to investigators on how to perform assignments as appropriate. Documents investigative findings and briefs decision-makers. Ensures appropriate retention of documentation relating to investigations and archiving of investigative files.
Compliance Issues: Ensures staff are aware of appropriate channels for reporting compliance issues and coordinates with Compliance Director to ensure appropriate tracking of compliance issues. Coordinates with country offices to implement key initiatives, including tracking of misconduct and organizational responses in local registers.
Risk Assessment and Mitigation: Conducts risk assessments and data analyses to identify trends, patterns of misconduct, potential misconduct, and other threats to the workplace and recommend solutions for mitigation. Assists with implementation of risk management and mitigation plans. Supports Compliance Director, Internal Audit, and other stakeholders on risk identification process. Supports in the development of a risk dashboard at the organizational and country level.
Compliance Assurance. Provides ongoing training and support in the areas of compliance, ensuring donor rules and regulations are incorporated. Supports key compliance assurance including deployment of effective and efficient mechanisms to prevent, detect, identify, and correct noncompliance with applicable law and regulations, donor requirements, and Pathfinder policies and standards.
Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates in cross-functional project teams. Supports compliance-related activities as requested
- Compliance Program Development: Foundational knowledge of the elements of an effective compliance program and ability to operate in an international matrixed organization.
- Compliance Regulations and Requirements: Foundational knowledge of the laws, regulations and policies applicable to international NGOs working under grants and contracts funded by USAID, other government, foundations and other donors.
- Investigation Oversight: Sound knowledge of generally-accepted investigative standards, principles and techniques. Ability to provide direction to other compliance and investigative officers and to interact with internal and external clients regarding identified misconduct.
- Investigative Capabilities: Able to identify issues, analyze data, problem-solve, and make independent judgments. Thorough knowledge of interviewing techniques and advanced active listening skills. Ability to draft and finalize comprehensive written reports detailing the results of investigations. Experience conducting social media and public source investigations.
- Program and Project Planning and Management: Intermediate skills in program and project management and planning to fulfill performance objectives, including timely completion of investigations and related risk management activities.
- Training and Development: Ability to develop and deliver training to small and large groups.
- Analytical, Communications and Influencing Skills: Proven analytical ability and deep written and oral communication skills, including ability to persuade others at all levels of the organization.
- Multi-tasking Skills: Ability to manage multiple initiatives at the same time and work cooperatively with multiple stakeholders.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently and as a member of the team, ability to thrive in a matrix organization, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years of experience in compliance, legal, finance, audit, or program management, including a minimum 3 years of experience conducting investigations, fraud examinations, or compliance investigations in the private or public sector.
- 3-5 years international non-profit experience, including with regulatory and legal requirements of grants and contracts funded by USAID and foundations
- Detailed knowledge of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and Department of Justice compliance program expectations
- Prefer: Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or host-nation equivalent preferred
- Prefer: Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) certification or knowledge of US and International privacy law
- Prefer: Experience with Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Prefer: Juris Doctorate and/or knowledge of US employment law
- Prefer: 3 years of experience as a compliance officer
- Based in either Washington, DC or Watertown, MA
- Travel Required (at least 20%) with some International travel
- Uses cellular or desk phone; laptop or desktop computer