Save the Children is submitting a funding proposal to the anticipated USAID-funded Strengthening Integrated Health Services Activity (SIHSA) in Sierra Leone. The Activity will improve the quality of family planning, maternal newborn child and adolescent health, and malaria services; promote adoption of crucial health behaviors; and strengthen the stewardship and governance of the Ministry of Health and Sanitation, both at central and district levels.
The Chief of Party (COP) is a senior leadership position and will provide overall strategic direction in the design, management, implementation, and overall quality assurance of the project. The COP will be the primary point of contact with USAID and be responsible for the sustainability of project interventions. The COP will collaborate with the Ministry of Health and other partners to provide high-level technical and managerial support for effective capacity building at the local level. The COP will also oversee a team of experts and support staff, prepare reports and annual operating plans, align project initiatives with in-country priorities, and ensure the program is compliant with USAID and Save the Children’s regulations.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
* Lead in the development of strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, and overall management of the program in line with USAID guidelines to achieve project objectives;
* Ensure high quality technical leadership and oversight is in place for the program;
* Lead the team to provide proper coordination and guidance among local government, country-wide initiatives, community partners, NGOs, and other key stakeholders;
* Supervise and mentor senior technical and project management staff while cultivating an environment that is conducive to learning and professional growth;
* Support the development of strong M&E mechanisms, program monitoring tools, and efficient systems to ensure high quality implementation;
* Support a rigorous approach to learning and adaptation driven by data that, in consultation with USAID, leads to refinements and adjustments to the activity’s technical approaches and annual work plans and allows for timely and accurate decision-making;
* Establish compliance with USG regulations, procedures, and Save the Children guidelines;
* Represent Save the Children with partners and key stakeholders and develop and maintain positive relationships with USAID, local ministries, and the Country Office team;
* Establish effective communication and coordination with personnel from the government in order to implement interventions and incorporate country-wide priorities;
* Actively participate as a member of the Country Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT), contributing to country strategic plans;
* Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where the program team strives to achieve excellence;
* Incorporate Save the Children’s vision and values and full adherence to Code of Conduct principles;
* Closely monitor security dynamics in the project areas and report to the Country Director on significant changes in the security context.