Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our vision is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5+ million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for an Associate, Programs Communications to join our team. The Associate will help to develop and iterate on new and existing programs communications tools and materials. The goal of these materials is to bolster the visibility of Smile Train’s superb programs activities around the globe.
This is an excellent opportunity to support communications and advocacy efforts for a global non-profit organization that does truly outstanding work.
The Associate, Programs Communications will report to the Manager, Programs Communications. Ideal candidates are based in New York City, though consideration will be extended to candidates based outside of the tri-state area based on experience level. This is a full-time role, starting as soon as possible.
In collaboration with the Manager, Programs Communications and other colleagues, the incoming Associate will support and/or maintain:
- Internal and external programs communications materials, including but not limited to one-pagers, blog posts, newsletters, social media posts, website content, and other compelling communications
- Programmatic Twitter engagement and expansion
- A programmatic event calendar, highlighting key themes and priorities
- Research around key advocacy topics in alignment with Smile Train focus areas, and develop guides on language, individuals, and upcoming events/campaigns
- Advocacy campaigns across Smile Train’s priority focus areas, including global and country level advocacy toolkits
- Message frameworks, original content and talking points for key initiatives
- The development of an internal “speakers bureau” of key global health champions across Smile Train priority focus areas
- Communications to elevate research and researchers in low- and middle-income countries
- Excellent writing, proofreading and copyediting skills with demonstrated ability to write quickly and well on deadline
- Bachelors degree, with coursework or experience in public health, health sciences, international relations, journalism, communications, marketing or a closely related field
- Experience and fluency with digital communications tools, including social media platforms, and leveraging technology to identify and effectively communicate with diverse audiences
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work and manage their time in order to meet multiple deadlines
- Positive attitude and work ethic
- Passion for improving access to care for vulnerable children, especially those with cleft lip and palate
- Understanding and appreciation for working across different cultures
- Fluency in English, written and spoken fluency in a second language desirable
- Knowledge or experience in global health or global surgery preferred
- International experience or prior work in a global nonprofit organization preferred