Advisor for the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)

Job Type
Full Time
Job ID
Date Posted
Washington, DC
Company Information
Save the Children

Save the Children’s Department of Global Health is recruiting for an Advisor for the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) team. The WASH Advisor leads Save the Children’s strategic approach and technical support for WASH, including incorporation of WASH into the Department of Global Health, Department of Hunger and Livelihoods and the USAID-funded Maternal and Child Survival Program’s (MCSP) strategic and operational plans. This position provides technical assistance to country programs, builds partnerships and pursues WASH related business opportunities across the agency’s development portfolio. This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and at least 7-10 years of experience implementing WASH Programming in the context of health programs in the developing world with at least 3 years of on the ground experience. Roughly 70% of the Advisor’s time will be devoted to technical leadership and resource mobilization while the remaining 30% will be devoted to Management Support, Program Learning, Knowledge Management, and Representation of Save the Children’s WASH and Global Health work.

Required Qualifications Minimum 7-10 years' experience implementing WASH programming in the context of health programs in a developing world context, with at least 3 years of on-the-ground experience Minimum Bachelor’s degree in WASH or Public Health Ability to work in a complex environment involving a variety of country and institutional contexts Experience providing technical assistance in WASH in a variety of country contexts Demonstrated experience integrating WASH into nutrition programs and integrated maternal, newborn and child health programs Experience working on WASH in health care settings Business development experience (USAID and private sector) and ability to work with SCI and members to position and pursue opportunities and in proposal development. Experience designing and implementing qualitative and quantitative monitoring and evaluation systems for WASH projects Experience in technical writing/documentation of WASH program/research Demonstrated management, planning, supervisory, and leadership skills. Ability to think critically, strategically, and operationally. Experience with USAID and other key international organizations working in WASH and urban health and nutrition (e.g., UN agencies, donors, academic institutions, and USAID-funded Cooperating Agencies). Builds and maintains effective relationships and collaborates with multiple stakeholders Ability to travel 30% of the time on short notice and to work independently if needed. Travel includes both international and domestic trips. Preferred Qualifications Master’s or PhD Degree in WASH or Public Health with WASH focus Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and as a team member with diverse headquarters, field office, and partner agency staff. Capacity building skills Strong written and verbal communications skills French language skills are desirable. Computer literacy in word processing, graphics, and spreadsheet software packages and particularly use of PowerPoint.
Go to for more information