The community engagement coordinator will be part of the team that helps pastoralists make informed migration decisions with relevant digital information. Project Concern International (PCI) seeks to recruit an individual who is mission-driven, passionate and experienced in community engagement and mobilization, and is excited about the opportunity to work on a social enterprise project that could have huge impact for some of the most marginalized populations in Kenya and across the continent. The social enterprise will be focused on product testing, launch, marketing and sales of the AfriScout mobile application to pastoral communities in Kenya’s Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs). The successful candidate’s assignment will involve some aspects of sales, marketing, and field-level management including; customer education and adoption, regional stakeholder engagement & management, regional monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance.
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya with up to 60% time traveling to assigned pastoral counties within the country where the application is relevant. Some international travel within the region may be required.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Stakeholder engagement
- Support the National Program Manager in liaising with county governments, collaborating NGOs and other relevant actors
- Mapping of community grazing areas for Kenya’s ASALs
- Support in planning for and execution of community mapping exercises in assigned pastoral counties
- Support in the documentation of the mapping exercise
- Product launch and orientation in assigned counties
- Support in event planning and mobilization of community members for marketing efforts and product demonstrations
- Support in the orientation and training of the communities on the use of the AfriScout application
- Lead in recruitment, training, coaching and supervision of a cadre of part-time, field-based distributors/customer service providers
- Manage field-based team commissions, schedules and reporting
- Sales and Marketing
- Execute multichannel marketing plan as well as customer support plan and contribute to the improvement of plans as needed
- Manage customer on-boarding, engagement, and conversions to subscriptions
- Performance monitoring and reporting
- Monitor and ensure regional targets for product activations, sales volumes, staff performance and other impact metrics are met
- Provide ongoing monitoring and quality assurance on user posts and feedback using proprietary administrator web platform
- Analyze and produce regional progress reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in development-related Social Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Communication or related fields;
- At least 3+ years of experience in the disciplinary area, e.g., market development / sales & marketing / community development
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with pastoral communities particularly in North Eastern Kenya.
- A proven skill-set in the area of outreach and extension, facilitation and community mobilization.
- Strong local networks in pastoral counties; experience and relationships working with players in the Kenya BoP markets and in telecommunications is highly desired
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills in English and Kiswahili. Ability to speak Somali is a requirement.
- Basic budgeting, procurement, and staff supervision experience.
- Proficient computer skills and technological savvy; Google Analytics and Firebase Analytics experience a plus.
- Flexibility and ability to transition across a variety of roles and settings – from the village to the board room.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work a nontraditional work schedule.
- Balance: combining patience, empathy, and honesty with the assertiveness, clout and drive to see any job through to the end.
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment.
- Familiarity with aspects of extensive livestock production in Kenya is a plus.
- Change-maker: Has a passion for the mission and values of PCI and AfriScout
- Innovator: Seeks creative solutions to problems and challenges existing paradigms
- Edifier: Able to inspire and motivate a team and build trust with communities
- Ally: Possesses an appreciation and respect for local customs and traditions